THINGS TO DO IN OAKLAND
Located across the Bay Bridge from San Francisco, Oakland is one of the most culturally diverse cities in the nation. Part of the Bay Area, its proximity to Wine Country, Lake Tahoe, Silicon Valley and other fun destinations makes it a popular place to visit with over 4 million visitors per year. The city spans over 54 square miles, almost 8 times larger than San Francisco and has a huge selection of gourmet restaurants, fun bars, historical music venues and more.
Visiting Oakland can be a little overwhelming since there are so many options for activities, tours, nightlife and attractions, so doing a little planning before your visit can assure that you make the most of your trip and get to see the best parts of the city. The CrawlSF Guide for things to do in Oakland pulls together some hand picked recommendations for things that you should see from well known attractions to secret spots that locals love.
Oakland is a vibrant and diverse city located in the East Bay region of the San Francisco Bay Area in California. Known for its rich cultural heritage, scenic beauty, and vibrant food and arts scene, Oakland is a must-visit destination for travelers to the Bay Area.
Why visit Oakland? For starters, Oakland is a city that truly embodies the spirit of California. With its sunny climate, laid-back vibe, and welcoming locals, Oakland offers a unique and authentic experience that you won’t find anywhere else.
There are plenty of things to do in Oakland, whether you’re a foodie, art lover, nature enthusiast, or just looking for a fun day out. One of the top attractions in Oakland is Lake Merritt, a beautiful urban lake that offers stunning views of the city skyline and a wide range of recreational activities, including boating, jogging, and bird-watching.
Another must-visit attraction in Oakland is the Oakland Museum of California, which features exhibits on the history, art, and culture of California. The museum is a great place to learn about the rich history of Oakland and the Bay Area, and its interactive exhibits make it a fun and engaging experience for visitors of all ages.
If you’re a food lover, then Oakland is definitely the place for you. The city has a thriving food scene, with a wide range of restaurants and cafes that offer everything from classic California cuisine to international dishes. Some of the top spots to check out include the Temescal Alley neighborhood, which is home to a variety of gourmet eateries and artisanal shops, and the Jack London Square area, which offers waterfront dining and live entertainment.
For those who love the outdoors, Oakland has plenty of natural beauty to explore, from the stunning views of the Bay Area from the Oakland Hills to the hiking trails of Redwood Regional Park. And if you’re a fan of sports, then don’t miss a chance to catch a game at the Oakland Coliseum, home to the Oakland A’s and the Raiders.
So how can you have fun in Oakland? Here are some tips:
Take a stroll around Lake Merritt and soak in the views of the city skyline.
Visit the Oakland Museum of California and learn about the history and culture of the Bay Area.
Explore the food scene in the Temescal Alley and Jack London Square neighborhoods.
Hike the trails of Redwood Regional Park and take in the natural beauty of the East Bay hills.
Catch a game at the Oakland Coliseum and cheer on the A’s or Raiders.
Oakland is a city that truly has something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for cultural experiences, outdoor adventures, or just a fun day out, Oakland is a must-visit destination in the San Francisco Bay Area. So come and discover all that this vibrant and diverse city has to offer!
Ten Reasons to Visit Oakland, California
- Lake Merritt – A beautiful urban lake with stunning views of the city skyline, walking paths, and boating opportunities.
- Oakland Museum of California – A museum dedicated to the history, art, and culture of California.
- Food Scene – Oakland is home to a vibrant food scene with a wide range of gourmet eateries, cafes, and restaurants.
- Redwood Regional Park – A vast park with hiking trails, picnic areas, and breathtaking views of the Bay Area.
- Jack London Square – A waterfront district with shops, restaurants, and live entertainment.
- The Fox Theater – A historic theater with a beautiful Art Deco design that hosts concerts and events.
- Chabot Space and Science Center – A museum and observatory with interactive exhibits and stunning views of the stars.
- Oakland Zoo – A zoo with a wide range of animals from around the world and family-friendly activities.
- Sports – Oakland is home to the Oakland A’s and the Raiders, offering opportunities to catch a game.
- Art Scene – Oakland has a thriving arts community, with galleries, street art, and festivals celebrating creativity and culture.
- Overall, Oakland offers a unique and authentic experience that captures the spirit of California. With its diverse population, rich history, and natural beauty, there are plenty of reasons to visit this vibrant city in the Bay Area.
Upcoming Oakland Events
Wilco Live at Fox Theater
Weezer Party Bus
Wardruna at Paramount Theatre
Oakland City Events
You Drink, We Drive
The Best Pub Crawls in San Francisco